Friday, April 8, 2011

A collection of updates

It's been a while since I posted any links, though it's not like anything particularly Earth-shattering has happened over the last week or so. There's some Warner Brothers news about the future of their comic franchises, news on Ron Howard's The Dark Tower, and a small item on The Hobbit. Oh, and there's more casting for The Hunger Games. It's all after the jump, so click on ahead.

Warner Brothers planning Justice League film, Batman reboot

Since Marvel's got The Avengers coming out next year, it makes sense DC would want to match it with a Justice League movie. Christopher Nolan's Batman movies might be the best thing to happen to superhero filmmaking, but apparently Warner Brothers has decided to reboot the character. The only benefit I can see is having the new Batman tie with Superman, to let me see their battle from The Dark Knight Returns in IMAX 3D. This also makes sense because there's no way Robin and those villains like Mr. Freeze and the Penguin are going to be left out of Batman films for long, and I'd almost rather see it rebooted than watch Nolan's universe devolve into a campy mess. Because I kind of expect anything Warner Brothers makes to turn into a campy mess. Compare The Green Lantern trailer to Thor or Captain America. I think my point is made. Read about this story at /Film.

Amy Adams to play Lois Lane

Speaking of Superman, Amy Adams has been cast as Lois Lane in Zach Snyder's new movie. Considering at least one rumor had Lindsey Lohan up for a role, this isn't bad news. Actually, I've quite like Amy Adams in the few things I've seen her in, and she'll probably do fine. I'm just mildly disappointed that Olivia Wilde didn't get the part. Still, after seeing Sucker Punch, I'm looking forward to Snyder's take on Superman even more, and I think having Nolan to oversee the scripting process will help this movie make at least a little sense.

Hunger Games guys cast

I'm far less interested in this than I was in Jennifer Lawrence's casting, but once I start following a movie, I find it hard to stop. Anyway, Lionsgate announced that they've cast the movie's male leads. Josh Hutcherson from The Kids Are All Right will be playing Peeta, a boy who enters the games Katniss. This is the role Alex Pettyfer was rumored for, and fortunately Hutcherson showed in The Kids Are All Right that he's a solid actor. With Jennifer Lawrence, The Hunger Games now has two leads from last year's Best Picture nominees. Meanwhile, the role of Katniss's friend Gale will be played by Liem Hemsworth. I recently discovered that he's best known for dating Miley Cyrus, which is terrifying. But there is good news: He's this guy's brother.

The Dark Tower's gunslinger found?

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, Book 1)Javier Bardem is reportedly close to signing a deal to play the lead role in Ron Howard's massive adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. The project will involve at least three movies and a limited-run TV series. It's the biggest adaptation of a single work like this I've ever heard of, with the five Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies being a possible exception. I'm really interested to see how it all turns out. Bardem could be a good fit for the role, though I would have preferred Viggo Mortensen.

Orlando Bloom probably appearing in The Hobbit

It's been rumored for a while, and this doesn't actually confirm anything, but it seems extremely likely that Orlando Bloom will be reprising his role of Legolas in The Hobbit films. Sadly it doesn't look like Gimli will be returning. But at least we'll have thirteen other dwarves to make short people look badass.

No comments:

Post a Comment