Monday, March 14, 2011

The Hunger Games casting

I'm working on finals right now so I haven't had time to write much for this blog, but this caught my attention. Oscar-nominee Jennifer Lawrence is reportedly on the verge of taking the lead role Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games movie (Variety via /Film). I read the entire Hunger Games Trilogy over Christmas break was really impressed. I didn't find it unbearably angsty, which was nice for a YA series, and since then I've been paying attention to the search for a lead actress for the film adaptation. I watched Winter's Bone a couple of weeks ago, and thought Lawrence did a great job  in that role. Lawrence is 20, while Katniss is 16, but I think it's probably better to cast older than younger, and two of the other contenders (Chloe Moretz and Hailee Steinfeld) are only 14. Besides, the actor's age isn't really an issue. Look at Andrew Garfield playing a high-school age Peter Parker in The Amazing Spider-man. I think Lawrence would be great for the role.

However, there is some controversy over this rumor because the books describe Katniss as having dark hair and olive skin, which Lawrence obviously does not. Jezabel (links from io9) doesn't seem thrilled by this, pointing the fact that the studio casting call for Katniss specified Caucasian actors. Personally I don't think this is quite on the same level as the casting of The Last Airbender (which was way more interesting than anything else about that movie). The only time I remember Katniss's appearance being an issue in the books was the fact that she was attractive, and personally I think Lawrence meets that requirement. Now if the film ends up starring a bunch of white people, then that would be a problem. After this, I'm calling it now: Willow Smith as Rue. 

I Am Number Four star Alex Pettyfer has also been approached for the male lead, Peeta. I'm not excited by this news, since there were very few good things about I Am Number Four, and Pettyfer wasn't one of them. Hopefully it wasn't his fault. But then, I didn't like Peeta as a character that much either. 


No comments:

Post a Comment