Monday, November 14, 2011

Week Links: Lego, Hunger Games, Trailers, and Oscars

Hey, so this week, there's news about a LEGO movie. I'm torn between thinking it's awesome and thinking it signals the end of the world as I know it (because LEGO is an essential part of my world view). Also, there's a trailer for The Hunger Games. Then there's a couple of other things, but I'm NaNoWriMoing so that's more important than blogging this month. It's after the jump, so go for the clicky.

Oh yeah, I saw Immortals

And it was really... strange. In an awesome, visually stunning and extremely trippy way. Imagine Sucker Punch without a theme, or 300 with more ridiculous costumes. Still, the movie knew it was absurd... or someone needs their head examined for putting the villain in a bunny helmet. Beware the evil bunny! I kept having Monty Python flashbacks. Also, a character says (basically), "I have visions of the future because I'm a virgin. I don't like them. Have sex with me." I kid you not. I put it at #13 for the year, because it doesn't quite meet my standards of unapologetic absurdity. Really.

Warner Bros. moving ahead with LEGO movie

This was actually announced last year, but this new report from /Film says Warner Bros. has just brought on a third director, Robot Chicken's Chris McKay to join Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs helmers Chris Lord and Phil Miller. Lord describes the movie as "Something like if Michael Bay kidnapped Henry Selick to make a movie for him," and it will reportedly be mostly CGI featuring LEGO minifigures as characters. So I'm leaning toward Awesome for this.

Billy Crystal is hosting the Oscars

All is once again right with the world. I wasn't thrilled with this year's hosts James Franco and Anne Hathaway. It was a good idea but it didn't pan out. The truth is, bringing on marketable stars isn't going to increase viewership more than a show that is actually good. Besides, Billy Crystal basically is the Oscars, so I think that this a good choice, considering that every year in recent memory, I read the recaps of the failed ceremonies that say, "They really should bring Billy Crystal back." [Read more at /Film]

Trailers for Hunger Games and one of the Snow White movies

Because they are from Apple, and therefore not easily embeddable, you'll have to check out io9 if you want to see the new trailer for The Hunger Games. It shows a pretty solid recap of the first half of the story. It's looking good and seems pretty true to the books, but lets hope the filmmakers remember to spend more time on the fighting than they do on the whole getting-dressed-to-make-an-impression thing. Also, from /Film is the trailer for Snow White and the Huntsman. It features Kristen (Twilight) Stewart and Chris Hemsworth as the title characters, but I'm more interested in Charlize Theron as the Evil Queen and the dark fantasy elements. Also, this movie has an awesome cast as the seven dwarves, who are unforgivably absent from this trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment