Monday, October 17, 2011

Week Links: Thor 2, Phantom Menace, and more

Today's link collection sees some news about the Thor sequel, information on that Phantom Menace re-release you were hoping wouldn't happen, some good news about Netflix, and a really pretty awesome scene from one of my favorite sitcoms. And it's been a busy week, so I'll keep this short.

Thor 2 gets director, new release date

On the heels of a release date shift from July to November of 2013, Disney confirmed that Patty Jenkins (Monster) will be taking over the directorial duties. The press release also confirms the return of Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Natalie Portman (Jane Foster), and Tom Hiddleston (Loki). And I guess that last one is a possible spoiler for Thor and The Avengers. I'd expect the studio to try to bring back Anthony Hopkins's Odin as well as the Warriors Three. That makes Marvel's current slate The Avengers on May 4, 2012, Iron Man 3 on May 3, 2013, and Thor 2 on November 15, 2013. Considering the fast turn-around on this summer's X-Men First Class, it is conceivable that Marvel could turn around another film to fill in June or July 2013. Read the full story at /Film.

The first poster for The Phantom Menace 3D

It's my personal that 3D just might be the titular menace, but common opinion gives that title to Jar Jar Binks, and seeing him in 3D might just give grown men nightmares. But you know what? The Phantom Menace was a big part of my introduction to Star Wars, so I can't really hate it, and that final lightsaber duel is awesome. Lucasfilm has released a poster, which focuses on badass-character-with-no-development Darth Maul, the Podrace, and Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan. I'm sad to see the omission of Liam Neeson, but they're probably trying to maintain some continuity... or something. Anyway, in other Darth Maul news: He's coming back to life!

Neil Patrick Harris in defense of Ewoks


On the subject of things that are unpopular with many Star Wars fans, am I the only person who thought this moment from sitcom How I Met Your Mother was spot on? Anyone who watched the movies as an teenager or adult sees the Ewoks (or Jar Jar) as depressingly ridiculous. If memory serves, I was nine when I first saw the Ewoks. And I thought they were pretty awesome. Now, I just really really wish they were Wookies.

Netflix ads content from the CW


And this actually becomes my second post related to The Vampire Diaries. It's one of several shows coming to Netflix. More exciting: Supernatural. Not at all exciting: 90210. Netflix's streaming content is starting to grow by leaps and bounds, and they nixed the Quikster idea, so they're beginning the climb back up from they're recent run of bad press. Here's more at /Film.




No comments:

Post a Comment